Employment Opportunities: Part-time Bookshelver
Location: Central Library - Central Circulation
200 SE Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Evansville, IN 47713
Hours: Part-time, must be available evenings and weekends; scheduled approximately 20 hours per week.
Start Date: Immediately
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Under the supervision of a Chief or Senior Clerk, a Shelver works in circulation services and facilitates the use of Library materials by consistently and correctly maintaining the orderly arrangement of Library materials in an assigned area according to Library practices and procedures. The bookshelver may occasionally, as assigned, perform record maintenance, customer service, or other activities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Sorts Library materials or records according to Library coding/organization systems; systematically arranges the materials/records in appropriate storage/display areas.
- In a systematic way, looks at materials in storage/display areas (“reads” shelves) and rearranges any disorganized materials.
- Maintains the neat and organized appearance of an assigned area by picking up trash, straightening books and other materials, and otherwise maintaining the area as assigned.
- Looks for worn or damaged materials, removes such items from display/storage areas and shows them to his/her supervisor for possible repair or withdrawal.
- Helps sort/process items shipped through intra-Library messenger or mail service.
- Processes inventory control or customer records
- Cleans/repairs Library materials; inspects returned items for damage.
- Assists in opening/closing procedures.
- Helps maintain neatness in work area.
- Answers directional and similar inquiries of a non-reference nature by telephone and in person; refers persons requiring professional assistance to the appropriate staff or librarian.
- Assists customers with use of computers and other equipment at the Library.
- Assists with checking in (discharging) and checking out (charging) Library materials.
- Assists in registering people for new borrower's cards.
- Assists in locating books or other materials requested by title/author for customers as requested and time permits.
- Assists with summer reading program and similar activities as needed.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:The work environment is characteristic of what an employee encounters while performing essential functions in a general office environment. Physical activities of this position include standing, walking, talking, hearing, keyboarding, and repetitive motions of hands/wrists. The position is required to push, lift, pull and carry items weighing up to 40 pounds on an occasional basis. Vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
REQUIRES: High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or 6 to 18 months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. May consider less than high school diploma or general education degree (GED) and/or no prior experience. Must have great customer service skills, excellent communication skills, be self motivated, able to work a flexible schedule including evening and weekend hours, and be dependable and responsible. Applicants must adhere to Library’s Dress Guidelines (“Business Casual”) and dress suitable for the task at hand, and must maintain good personal hygiene in compliance with Library Code of Conduct.
Qualified persons interested may submit an EVPL Electronic Application. Applicant materials will be taken until the position is filled.
Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library
Attn: Human Resources
200 S.E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Evansville, IN 47713
EVPL is an equal opportunity employer.