Employment Opportunities: Branch Library Manager
Location: Oaklyn Branch Branch Library
3001 Oaklyn Drive
Evansville, IN 47711
ALA accredited Master of Library Science or Master of Library and Information Services degree required.
Salary Range: $51,055 - $76,582
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Performs professional work supervising one or more branch libraries, providing reference services, scheduling staff, assisting customers, assisting with collection development, maintaining records, preparing reports, and related work as apparent or assigned. Work is performed under the general direction of the Public Services Officer. Departmental supervision is exercised over Branch Employees.
- Supervises staff and operations of one or more branch libraries; interviews, hires and trains staff; schedules, assigns and evaluates work; coaches, disciplines, promotes and terminates staff.
- Develops and facilitates outreach and programming activities for the branch; works in coordination with other branches, business and community leaders to ensure programming is meeting community needs.
- Works the reference desk; receives and responds to customer or staff inquiries related to library facilities, services, technology or programs.
- Develops and maintains various branch, programming and collection statistics.
- Assists with the maintenance of library building and equipment; contacts appropriate staff for escalated issues.
- Researches various library material catalogs and websites for desired collection materials; evaluates and orders additional new materials; evaluates customer material requests; coordinates and oversees material withdrawals.
- Attends and leads various meetings and committees as a member and representative of the branch.
- Receives and responds to meeting room reservation requests.
Direct supervision of professional library staff, assistant branch manager, and customer service supervisor; indirect supervision of all staff and volunteers.
REQUIRES: Master’s of Library Science degree from an ALA accredited school and a minimum of five years of relevant work experience. Urban or large branch library management experience a plus. Ability to obtain Indiana State Library Certification within 6 months of hire date. Must have great customer service skills, excellent communication skills, be self motivated, able to work a flexible schedule including evening and weekend hours, and be dependable and responsible. Applicants must adhere to Library’s Dress Guidelines (“Business Casual”) and dress suitable for the task at hand, and must maintain good personal hygiene in compliance with Library Code of Conduct.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: This work requires the occasional exertion of up to 25 pounds of force; work regularly requires speaking or hearing and using hands to finger, handle or feel, frequently requires standing, walking, sitting, reaching with hands and arms and repetitive motions and occasionally requires climbing or balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling, pushing or pulling and lifting; work requires close vision; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data, visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, operating machines, operating motor vehicles or equipment and observing general surroundings and activities; work occasionally requires exposure to outdoor weather conditions; work is generally in a moderately noisy location (e.g. business office, light traffic).
Qualified persons interested may submit an EVPL Electronic Application. All applicants must attach a cover letter and a resume/vitae to the electronic application for full consideration. Applicant materials will be taken until the position is filled.
Review of applicant materials will begin immediately.
Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library
Attn: Human Resources
200 S.E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Evansville, IN 47713
EVPL is an equal opportunity employer.