Employment Opportunities: Youth Services Assistant
Location: Central Library - READ Children's Center
200 SE Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Evansville, IN 47713
Full-time, benefit eligible position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: As part of a public service department at Central Library, the Youth Services Assistant provides reference services, advisory services, programming, and materials management by performing the duties listed below and related activities as needed with the goal of providing excellence in customer service consistent with the policies and mission of the Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library.
- Provides proactive and excellent customer service, assisting customers in selecting and locating library materials.
- Answers readers advisory and reference questions; refers complex reference questions appropriately.
- Assists and educates customers in use of library resources, equipment, and technology.
- Plans, prepares, and presents programs for children, tweens and families.
- Plans and prepares material displays.
- Engages in public/community relations/awareness activities.
- Assists in the selection and/or recommendation of materials to be added, withdrawn, repaired, and replaced.
- Receives and processes new materials; withdraws and/or repairs damaged materials.
- Serves on EVPL committees and attends relevant workshops and conferences.
- Engages in professional development and remains current on issues and trends relevant to the role and to the Library.
- Leads and assists in special projects as assigned.
- May work at the Circulation Desk as needed at the branch locations.
- Orders supplies for the department or branch as approved by supervisor.
- Enter and maintain programs and events in E-Vanced.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRES: Bachelor's degree in education, liberal arts, or related field and minimal experience working as a teacher, working in customer service, working in a library, working with children or children's literature. Ability to obtain Indiana State Library Certification within 6 months of hire date. Must have great customer service skills, excellent communication skills, be self motivated, able to work a flexible schedule including evening and weekend hours, and be dependable and responsible. Applicants must adhere to Library’s Dress Guidelines (“Business Casual”) and dress suitable for the task at hand, and must maintain good personal hygiene in compliance with Library Code of Conduct.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: This work requires the occasional exertion of up to 25 pounds of force; work regularly requires speaking or hearing, frequently requires walking, sitting, using hands to finger, handle or feel and reaching with hands and arms and occasionally requires standing, climbing or balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling, pushing or pulling, lifting and repetitive motions; work has standard vision requirements; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data, operating machines, operating motor vehicles or equipment and observing general surroundings and activities; work occasionally requires exposure to outdoor weather conditions; work is generally in a moderately noisy location (e.g. business office, light traffic).
Qualified persons interested may submit an EVPL Electronic Application. All applicants must attach a cover letter and a resume/vitae to the electronic application for full consideration. Applicant materials will be taken until the position is filled.
Review of applicant materials will begin immediately.
Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library
Attn: Human Resources
200 S.E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Evansville, IN 47713
EVPL is an equal opportunity employer.