Sharon Draper writes some of the best books for teens, so I was excited to see her new book for younger kids. Sassy: Little Sister is NOT my Name! is about Sassy Simone Sanford, a fourth grader who loves her name. Unfortunately, no one at home calls her that. They all call her Little Sister, and she is tired of being reminded that she is the smallest, youngest member of the family. You'll enjoy Sassy, her friends, and her family as she learns to let her inner sparkle shine - even when she's wearing her "boring" school uniform.
Other things to know:
- This is the first book in a series all about Sassy.
- Draper has also written a series called Ziggy and the Black Dinosaurs, also geared to 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders.
- Draper used to be a teacher.
- If they act quickly, teachers can get a FREE media kit to use with Sharon Draper's books in the classrooms. See the link below.
- Draper has also written books for teachers, including Not Quite Burned Out but Crispy Around the Edges