Public Library Friends
What is our mission?
The Public Library Friends, Inc. is a non-profit organization begun in 1982 whose mission is to:
- Improve the services and resources of the Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library.
- Promote involvement of local citizens in the activities of the Library.
- Act as an advisory group to the Library administration whenever requested.
- Act as an advocate for the Library at the local, state, and national level as requested by the library administration.
What impact do the Friends have on our library and community?
- Sponsor the combined summer reading programs for children and adults.
- Underwrite bus transportation for Vanderburgh County third graders visiting the libraries.
- Underwrite a portion of One Book/ One Community.
- Sponsor and staff the annual sale that sells over 25,000 books.
- Fund special library projects.
- Further library staff excellence through institutes and recognition programs.
Who are we?
The Friends are citizens just like you who believe in the importance of a modern, active, progressive library by donating their time and resources to the success of the Friends and the Library. The 200 Friends members volunteer for special projects and events and support the library's planning process for the future. An example is the annual August fundraiser, the Book Sale at Washington Square Mall, where the Friends earn over $25,000 in a day and a half book selling blitz!